The process of finding an effective therapist for you or a loved one can seem daunting. There is no size fits all, and the chemistry between a therapist and client should be a good fit to achieve optimum success. After making the decision to seek out therapy and improve the quality of your life and relationships, the choice of a therapist is one of the most important decisions you will be faced with, and signifies your openness and willingness to be an active participant in your own healing. Do not shy away from feeling like you need a few consultations before deciding on a good fit. Interview several. Be wary of the therapist who dismisses the idea of you interviewing more than one.
Important questions to ask include:
- What do I hope to gain from therapy?
- Will this therapist help me do that?
- Am I comfortable with this therapist?
- Would I want to come back?
- Do I feel assured that this therapist is qualified and experienced with the types of issues or concerns I am facing?
- Ask what type of therapy is utilized. How is it different from other types of therapy? What should you expect?
- Have there been any complaints or disciplinary actions on this therapist’s license?
- What forms of payment does this therapist accept?
Counseling California’s comprehensive and user-friendly search features makes your job a little easier. You can search by geographic area, language, gender, areas of specialization, ethnicity, or insurance coverage.
You’ve taken the most important step by deciding to pursue therapy. Let us help you choose the right therapist for you.